RAC Cars Case Study
Netcars - an online motoring portal for buying used cars, was the first automotive classified website to offer the used car market the Google inspired ‘payment by results’ billing model, where dealers list their stock for free and only pay when they receive an enquiry.
Following an acquisition by RAC of the original netcars.com, we were approached to create the internet presence for the new RAC Cars website using the iconic RAC brand.
Our brief was to re-design and build an eye catching, user friendly, dynamic, innovative and responsive website to compete with goliath brands like Auto Trader and Motors.co.uk.
Outlined brief requirements:
- Bootstrap based front end framework
- Fully responsive
- Easy to integrate with back end system
- Regular, agile based sprints and feedback including on site collaboration with the in house development team
We created and designed a comprehensive collection of beautiful website visuals. The site designs were based around and conformed to the front end framework Bootstrap and it’s associated responsive grids. All main sections of the site were designed around a set of user-focused and responsive wire-frames. Each responsive breakpoint was visualised in a detailed and pixel perfect design for approval.
Once the responsive designs of all sections were supplied and approved these were then marked up using best practice front end methods and code on the responsive Bootstrap framework.
The front end web pages were then incrementally delivered [as they were developed] to the RAC Cars in-house team, using a GIT repository, with whom we worked very closely and had regular in house / on site contact and direct feedback.
The final front end pages were then handed over to the RAC Cars development team for them to integrate into their CMS back end system.
- We created a clean, sophisticated, usable and responsive website that perfectly reflected the RAC brand, prestige and status.
- The regular feedback and interaction with the in house development team meant their process of back end integration was seamless and efficient.
- Currently there are over 110,000 cars for sale on the site.
“Loft49 worked with commitment, passion and unwavering diligence on this national RAC Cars launch. They did an exceptional job creating a collection of beautiful, responsive, on brand designs. They then did a great job bringing the designs to life building the front end of the site in Bootstrap, on a very tight timescale. They certainly went the extra mile for us!”
John Wilson - Digital Director RAC Cars